Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cognitive Dissonance Theory

Definition: The feeling of discomfort that is caused when we have 2 or more thoughts that do not correlate with each other or when our behavior is different from our usual, mostly positive self image. When this discomfort is experienced, we feel motivated to reduce it.

We can reduce the feeling of discomfort by changing our behavior, changing our attitude, or by adding new cognitions.

Yesterday, I went to Carrefour to buy a new television set.
My cheap old Cathode Ray Tube (C. R. T.) television had broken down.
I wanted to get a new cheap television and I did not care about whether it was LCD or Plasma.
My dad was with me when I went. He advised me that C. R. T. TVs were very out of date and that I should definitely get a flat screen one.
As my dad was paying for the set, I listened to him and picked out the flat screen that came with most value for cent.
It turned out that the cheapest one was about $469.
When my mum heard about what I was going to buy she was a little concerned about the price.
Even though my dad was paying, I did not want to waste his money paying for something unnecessarily expensive.
This brought up a lot of feelings of cognitive dissonance within me.

Self Concept = I felt that I did not really need such an expensive TV
Conflicting Behavior = Buying the expensive television set.

To reduce the dissonance, I could have
1. Not bought the expensive TV
2. Told myself that my dad was right and that buying the cheaper C. R. T TVs was a waste of money as they would be out of date soon and would not as long
3. Told myself that LCD TVs are so much better than C.R.T TVs and that I really needed to get one.

Before paying for it, I kept justifying to myself why I was buying the set, using no. 2 and 3 to ease my guilt.

After setting up the television set in my room, I watched something on it.
I’m not sure if I was experiencing effort justification (perceiving that something is good as suffering (high cost) was done to get it) but while watching the show, I felt that the picture had never been so wonderful and clear.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Hey,

Getting a new television is a lifelong investment. Spending a little extra cash for the pictures to be clearer and the television to last longer is an investment.

Be happy that you have something new and treasure it, don't let whatever psychology theories affect you. =)

Podisingho said...

Ya... the television is really nice. Wish I could have to replace my computer monitor... HD man!

I recently bought a new PC game and it came bundled with a mouse, total about $90.

Thought it over once or twice then bought it. Went back home, HAPPY!

Looked at my textbook, but none of these theories and its accompanying regrets invaded my head!!

After you bought it what can you do... ENJOY it!

*cheers*

Miss Sanguine said...

I know the PERFECT solution for your uncomfortable dissonance - give that TV to me. :D

Anyway, yea I agree totally with Anna. A good tv lasts longer; rather than get one which probably won't and you would have to get another one some time sooner.

And yes, just enjoy the privilege. Haha. Others are lusting after it, like the pod guy who's probably fantasizing about plugging his lappie to your tv. And of course, me, who doesn't have a tv in my room. Hee. :D

Oh, I do have a friend who uses his tv as his "monitor" by the way. :)