Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weight-based Discrimination

Prejudice: A strong negative attitude towards members of a group.
Discrimination: Negative and harmful behavior that results from prejudice.

Weight-based discrimination refers to discrimination towards overweight or obese individuals that influences how these people are treated.

All my life, weight has been a huge struggle for me. This is probably because I have a huge appetite and am always thinking, reading and preparing food. I have dieted several times and sometimes the diets work and sometimes they don’t. As a result, my weight has always fluctuated quite a bit but I have been on the heavy side for most of my life.

Fortunately for me, I have never been a victim of overt weight discrimination (not that I was aware of). However, I feel that even without such a blatant experience, I have still been significantly affected by the attitudes of society towards overweight people.

The media often portrays overweight or obese people as lazy, greedy people who have no self control. I would say that in 99% of the movies I have watched, the heroes and heroines are always slim and toned. The large amount of slimming advertisements in the newspapers all send the message that your life would be perfect if only you were slim. It appears that it is almost impossible to avoid being brainwashed by the media into thinking that fat is bad and slim is good.

Despite knowing that this message is not true and that it is the inside that counts more than external appearance, I often find myself wishing I was slimmer. If I were slim, I would not have such trouble finding clothing to wear in Singapore, I would be healthier, I would feel more attractive, e.t.c. e.t.c……..

Weight based discrimination can be more serious and can even affect chances of employment and salary levels. This might occur even when appearance is not of importance in determining the quality of a job.

Something must be done to change the messages sent to people everywhere. I feel that the media plays a very important role in doing this. The process to change will be very slow and difficult as this attitude is a very persistent one. Overweight people should be portrayed more favorably in the media. Using plus sized models and perhaps promoting the acceptance of people of all sizes in Singapore might also help with this problem, as this will help people to gradually stop thinking that 'fat' people are any less than thin people.




4 comments:

Podisingho said...

Yes! I was talking about prejudice on my blog too.

I can feel the pain when I see a shoe I really like, only to encounter not having the size.

The older SBS buses were terrible for taller individuals such as myself :(

Aiyo the half hour bus ride can cause me to have a sprained neck while standing up.. so low the 'ceiling'!!!!

Anna said...

I believe the media is partly to blame for starting the whole image of "thinness is the in thing and cool thing" that only thin women can be attractive or get all the good positions in life.

The media should change the mindset. Media somehow or another influences some viewers's perspective about overweight people, being not healthy or attractive. And they are wrong. They can be healthy, talented and attractive individuals.

Maybe we should write in to mediacrop about placing ads with plus sized models. =)

deb said...

I do not think it is solely the media's fault for this prevailing idea of thinness. Many other factors play a part such as, social norms, the risk of getting high blood pressure and dibetes. These potential costs will be a heavy burden for the company. The social perception that obese people are lazy, inefficient. Furthermore, the majority of the population is thin, hence, there is bound to be some outgroup homogenity.

Miss Sanguine said...

Aww, come on! I think it's not only about this weight issue. In fact, it's about BEAUTY even. Physical beauty, all the botox, plastic surgeries, BOOB JOB (I do need that ;)) and what more.

I wouldn't say that the media is at fault. Rather, it's the approach that they take is wrong. Or is the approach and the media the same?

I believe that their intentions may be pure - being overweight may cause health problems. But when it comes to advertising, think about this - what is it that catches the eye first?

I feel that the media is like a response to us, human's perception and behavior.

Are we not more of a VISUAL people?

Probably because visual stimuli catches our attention first (don't deny!), advertising or the media does their business playing on that attribute.

So, aren't we the culprits as well?

Just a thought. :)